Re: hpsa driver bug crack kernel down!

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Fri Apr 11 2014 - 04:57:33 EST

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 17:17 -0600, Shuah Khan wrote:
> This smells very much like the problem that was solved couple of years
> ago for SI domain. It is likely that path is broken with the DMAR
> device scope array change. Please take a look to see if the following
> no longer occurs. Looks like BIOS could be expecting this RMRR to be
> still mapped.
>
> /*
> * We want to prevent any device associated with an RMRR from
> * getting placed into the SI Domain. This is done because
> * problems exist when devices are moved in and out of domains
> * and their respective RMRR info is lost. We exempt USB devices
> * from this process due to their usage of RMRRs that are known
> * to not be needed after BIOS hand-off to OS.
> */
> if (device_has_rmrr(dev) &&
> (pdev->class >> 8) != PCI_CLASS_SERIAL_USB)
> return 0;

Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree.... although I've tested with graphics
*since* these patches. That's another case where we need to preserve the
RMRR mapping after the driver takes over â and it *was* working.

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@xxxxxxxxx Intel Corporation