Re: xfs i_lock vs mmap_sem lockdep trace.

From: Dave Chinner
Date: Thu Apr 10 2014 - 18:52:53 EST

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 04:40:32PM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:

> > Already done that. Commit:
> >
> > 93a8614 xfs: fix directory inode iolock lockdep false positive
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> The commit above introduces a new lockdep issue for me:

Right, it's fixed one class of false positive which uncovers the
next class of false positive. lockdep gives me the shits at times
because every time we make some obviously correct locking change
to the XFS inodes we then spend the next 3-4 kernel releases chasing
down and annotating locks so that lockdep doesn't throw false
positives everywhere.

It's on my queue of things to fix but, quite frankly, lockdep false
positives are low priority to fix right now.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner