Re: Things I wish I'd known about Inotify

From: Jan Kara
Date: Fri Apr 04 2014 - 08:43:59 EST

On Fri 04-04-14 09:35:50, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> On 04/03/2014 10:52 PM, Jan Kara wrote:
> > On Thu 03-04-14 08:34:44, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> >> Limitations and caveats
> >> The inotify API provides no information about the user or process
> >> that triggered the inotify event. In particular, there is no
> >> easy way for a process that is monitoring events via inotify to
> >> distinguish events that it triggers itself from those that are
> >> triggered by other processes.
> >>
> >> The inotify API identifies affected files by filename. However,
> >> by the time an application processes an inotify event, the fileâ
> >> name may already have been deleted or renamed.
> >>
> >> The inotify API identifies events via watch descriptors. It is
> >> the application's responsibility to cache a mapping (if one is
> >> needed) between watch descriptors and pathnames. Be aware that
> >> directory renamings may affect multiple cached pathnames.
> >>
> >> Inotify monitoring of directories is not recursive: to monitor
> >> subdirectories under a directory, additional watches must be creâ
> >> ated. This can take a significant amount time for large direcâ
> >> tory trees.
> > And also there's a problem with the limit on the number of watches a user
> > can have.
>
> What is the problem exactly (given that the limit is configurable)?
Well, if you want to watch the whole home directory and you have a large
one, you may run into that limit. Sure you can ask sysadmin to raise the
limit but it's a bit anoying.

> >> If monitoring an entire directory subtree, and a new subdirectory
> >> is created in that tree or an existing directory is renamed into
> >> that tree, be aware that by the time you create a watch for the
> >> new subdirectory, new files (and subdirectories) may already
> >> exist inside the subdirectory. Therefore, you may want to scan
> >> the contents of the subdirectory immediately after adding the
> >> watch (and, if desired, recursively add watches for any subdirecâ
> >> tories that it contains).
> >>
> >> Note that the event queue can overflow. In this case, events are
> >> lost. Robust applications should handle the possibility of lost
> >> events gracefully. For example, it may be necessary to rebuild
> >> part or all of the application cache. (One simple, but possibly
> >> expensive, approach is to close the inotify file descriptor,
> >> empty the cache, create a new inotify file descriptor, and then
> >> re-create watches and cache entries for the objects to be moniâ
> >> tored.)
> >>
> >> Dealing with rename() events
> >> The IN_MOVED_FROM and IN_MOVED_TO events that are generated by
> >> rename(2) are usually available as consecutive events when readâ
> >> ing from the inotify file descriptor. However, this is not guarâ
> >> anteed. If multiple processes are triggering events for moniâ
> >> tored objects, then (on rare occasions) an arbitrary number of
> >> other events may appear between the IN_MOVED_FROM and IN_MOVED_TO
> >> events.
> >>
> >> Matching up the IN_MOVED_FROM and IN_MOVED_TO event pair generâ
> >> ated by rename(2) is thus inherently racy. (Don't forget that if
> >> an object is renamed outside of a monitored directory, there may
> >> not even be an IN_MOVED_TO event.) Heuristic approaches (e.g.,
> >> assume the events are always consecutive) can be used to ensure a
> >> match in most cases, but will inevitably miss some cases, causing
> >> the application to perceive the IN_MOVED_FROM and IN_MOVED_TO
> >> events as being unrelated. If watch descriptors are destroyed
> >> and re-created as a result, then those watch descriptors will be
> >> inconsistent with the watch descriptors in any pending events.
> >> (Re-creating the inotify file descriptor and rebuilding the cache
> >> may be useful to deal with this scenario.)
> > Well, but there's 'cookie' value meant exactly for matching up
> > IN_MOVED_FROM and IN_MOVED_TO events. And 'cookie' is guaranteed to be
> > unique at least within the inotify instance (in fact currently it is unique
> > within the whole system but I don't think we want to give that promise).
>
> Yes, that's already assumed by my discussion above (its described elsewhere
> in the page). But your comment makes me think I should add a few words to
> remind the reader of that fact. I'll do that.
Yes, that would be good.

> But, the point is that even with the cookie, matching the events is
> nontrivial, since:
>
> * There may not even be an IN_MOVED_FROM event
> * There may be an arbitrary number of other events in between the
> IN_MOVED_FROM and the IN_MOVED_TO.
>
> Therefore, one has to use heuristic approaches such as "allow at least
> N millisconds" or "check the next N events" to see if there is an
> IN_MOVED_FROM that matches the IN_MOVED_TO. I can't see any way around
> that being inherently racy. (It's unfortunate that the kernel can't
> provide a guarantee that the two events are always consecutive, since
> that would simply user space's life considerably.)
Yeah, it's unpleasant but doing that would be quite costly/complex at the
kernel side. And the race would in the worst case lead to application
thinking there's been file moved outside of watched area & a file moved
somewhere else inside the watched area. So the application will have to
possibly inspect that file. That doesn't seem too bad.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
SUSE Labs, CR