Re: Initramfs FSID altered in 3.14

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Thu Apr 03 2014 - 15:13:26 EST

Hello, Dave.

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 01:57:44PM -0400, Dave Reisner wrote:
> With Linux 3.14, you might notice in /proc/self/mountinfo that your
> root's parent FSID is now 0, instead of the 1 that it's been for the
> last N years. Tejun wrote the change (9e30cc9595303b27b48) that caused
> this, but the change comes in a rather innocuous way. Instead of an
> internal kernel mount of sysfs being assigned 0, it's now the initramfs.
>
> So far, this has already caused switch_root and findmnt (from
> util-linux) to break, cp (from coreutils) to break when using the -x
> flag in early userspace, and it's also been pointed out that systemd's
> readahead code makes assumptions about a device number of 0.
>
> Are we now supposed to go and change all the assumptions in userspace
> about 0 being special? I'm conflicted. The kernel isn't supposed to
> break userspace, but it seems to me that FSIDs were never something to
> rely on -- similar to the block device numbering scheme.

I think this is the same problem Alexandre Demers reported. Arch was
failing to boot with the commit. There's already a patch pending to
reinstate the internal mount but I think what Thomas is proposing -
just starting allocating FSID from 1 is a better solution. Alexandre,
can you please test Thomas' patch?

Thanks.

--
tejun