Re: [GIT PULL] USB patches for 3.15-rc1

From: Loc Ho
Date: Wed Apr 02 2014 - 01:42:29 EST

Hi,

>> > USB patches for 3.15-rc1
>> >
>> > Here's the big USB pull request for 3.15-rc1.
>>
>> Hmm. I'm getting this when testing:
>>
>> warning: (AHCI_XGENE) selects PHY_XGENE which has unmet direct
>> dependencies (HAS_IOMEM && OF && (ARM64 || COMPILE_TEST))
>>
>> which looks like AHCI_XGENE doesn't have the proper dependency on OF
>> (or alternatively PHY_XGENE has an incorrect dependemcy on OF).
>>
>> According to google it looks like Fengguang reported this on
>> kbuild-all, but nowhere else.
>>
>> The actual build then succeeds. But the Kconfig warning is real and
>> implies that something is seriously wrong wrt the dependencies for
>> this thing.
>>
>> It looks like the "select PHY_XGENE" came in through the libata
>> update, but this USB update actually brought in the "config PHY_XGENE"
>> and thus this error. Which makes me wonder how this all worked. Why
>> does that "select PHY_XGENE" exist when apparently it's not needed?
>>
>> Regardless, there's something broken somewhere.
>
> Odd, I don't know what to do to fix this up "properly".
>
> Loc Ho, this came in from your patch, any ideas?

I don't think it has anything to do with USB. With the current
dependency, X-Gene SATA AHCI driver will be included if either ARM64
or COMPILE_TEST. It in turn will select "PHY_XGENE" which has
dependency on OF and HAS_IOMEM. An fix would be make AHCI_XGENE
depends on OF as suggested by Linus. This is trigger by "COMPILE_TEST"
for non-ARM64. We can also remove "COMPILE_TEST" from AHCI_XGENE
driver like other SATA drivers. My prefer solution is to remove
"COMPILE_TEST".

-Loc