Re: [RFC] improve_stack: make stack dump output useful again

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 13 2014 - 20:51:08 EST

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Sasha Levin <sasha.levin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I figured that I'll just read it from System.map (and do the math when
> adding the offset). That should work, right?

Yes, although just reading the symbols from the vmlinux file would be
*much* more convenient, since I know that not everybody saves the
System.map file (cough cough me). But the vmlinux file you need
anyway.

So it would actually be much better to use "nm vmlinux" as the source
of the base information instead, and have just one file you depend on.

Linus