SuSE O_DIRECT|O_NONBLOCK overload

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Wed Mar 12 2014 - 07:00:30 EST

The SLES12 tree has various patches to implement special
O_DIRECT|O_NONBLOCK semantics for block devices:

https://gitorious.org/opensuse/kernel-source/source/806eab3e4b02e798c1ae942440051f81c822ca35:patches.suse/block-nonblock-causes-failfast

this seems genuinely useful and I'd be really happy if people would do
this work upstream for two reasons:

a) implementing different semantics only in a vendor kernel is a
nightmare. No proper way to document it in the man pages for
example, and silent breakage of applications that expect it to be
present, or even more nasty not present.
b) Which brings us to: we had various issues with adding O_NONBLOCK to
files that didn't support it before. How well was this whole feature
tested?