Re: [merged] mm-page_alloc-reset-aging-cycle-with-gfp_thisnode-v2.patch removed from -mm tree

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Mar 06 2014 - 16:57:00 EST

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:49:27 -0500 Johannes Weiner <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 12:37:57PM -0800, akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Subject: [merged] mm-page_alloc-reset-aging-cycle-with-gfp_thisnode-v2.patch removed from -mm tree
> > To: hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx,jstancek@xxxxxxxxxx,mgorman@xxxxxxx,riel@xxxxxxxxxx,stable@xxxxxxxxxx,mm-commits@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > From: akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 12:37:57 -0800
> >

> > The patch titled
> > Subject: mm: page_alloc: exempt GFP_THISNODE allocations from zone fairness
> > has been removed from the -mm tree. Its filename was
> > mm-page_alloc-reset-aging-cycle-with-gfp_thisnode-v2.patch
> >
> > This patch was dropped because it was merged into mainline or a subsystem tree
>
> Would it make sense to also merge
>
> mm-fix-gfp_thisnode-callers-and-clarify.patch
>
> at this point? It's not as critical as the GFP_THISNODE exemption,
> which is why I didn't tag it for stable, but it's a bugfix as well.

Changelog fail!

: GFP_THISNODE is for callers that implement their own clever fallback to
: remote nodes, and so no direct reclaim is invoked. There are many current
: users that only want node exclusiveness but still want reclaim to make the
: allocation happen. Convert them over to __GFP_THISNODE and update the
: documentation to clarify GFP_THISNODE semantics.

what bug does it fix and what are the user-visible effects??