That greedy Linux VM cache

From: Igor Podlesny
Date: Thu Jan 30 2014 - 11:58:54 EST

Hello!

Probably every Linux newcomer's going to have concerns regarding
low free memory and hear an explanation from Linux old fellows that's
actually there's plenty of -- it's just cached, but when it's needed
for applications it's gonna be used -- on demand. I also thought so
until recently I noticed that even when free memory's is almost
exhausted (~ 75 Mib), and processes are in sleep_on_page_killable, the
cache is somewhat like ~ 500 MiB and it's not going to return back
what it's gained. Naturally, vm.drop_caches 3 doesn't squeeze it as
well. That drama has been happening on rather
outdated-but-yet-still-has-2GiB-of-RAM notebook with kernel from 3.10
till 3.12.9 (3.13 is the first release for a long time which simply
freezes the notebook so cold, that SysRq_B's not working, but that's
another story). Everything RAM demanding just yet crawls, load average
is getting higher and there's no paging out, but on going disk mostly
_read_ and a bit write activity. If vm.swaPPineSS not 0, it's swapping
out, but not much, right now I ran Chromium (in addition to long-run
Firefox) and only 32 MiB went to swap, load avg. ~ 7

Again: 25 % is told (by top, free and finally /proc/meminfo) to be
cached, but kinda greedy.

I came across similar issue report:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg11723.html but still
questions remain:

* How to analyze it? slabtop doesn't mention even 100 MiB of slab
* Why that's possible?
* The system is on Btrfs but /home is on XFS, so disk I/O might be
related to text segment paging? But anyway this leads us to question,
hey, there's 500 MiB free^Wcached.

While I'm thinking about moving system back to XFS...

P. S. While writing these, swapped ~ 100 MiB, and cache reduced(!)
to 377 MiB, Firefox is mostly in "D" -- sleep_on_page_killable, so is
Chrome, load avg. ~ 7. I had to close Skype to be able to finish that
letter, and cached mem. now is 439 MiB. :) I know it's time to
upgrade, but hey, cached memory is free memory, right?

--
End of message. Next message?