Re: [RFC] x86: Disable traditional FPU instructions too

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Mon Jan 27 2014 - 11:45:57 EST

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 08:41:09AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I don't think it'd hurt... although I think the above pretty much
> requires that the code contain actual floating-point types to ever be
> generated.

Yes, that is supposed to catch usage of the 'E' floating constant, for
example, in definitions. It is a build-time assertion, if you want. :)

> The issue with MMX/SSE is that an autovectorizing compiler could
> decide to use them for *integer* code.

Right, and we don't want the FPU state handling if it can be helped.

> -mno-fp-ret-in-387 in particular will only ever apply if a function
> return type is a floating-point type.

Yeah, this is for when using -msoft-float == -mno-80387 which still can
generate FPU insns according to the manpage:

On machines where a function returns floating-point results in the 80387
register stack, some floating-point opcodes may be emitted even if
-msoft-float is used.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.