Re: Writeback threads and freezable

From: Dave Chinner
Date: Wed Dec 18 2013 - 23:08:30 EST

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 06:43:43AM -0500, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello, Dave.
>
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:35:10AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > Perhaps the function "invalidate_partition()" is badly named. To
> > state the obvious, fsync != invalidation. What it does is:
> >
> > 1. sync filesystem
> > 2. shrink the dcache
> > 3. invalidates inodes and kills dirty inodes
> > 4. invalidates block device (removes cached bdev pages)
> >
> > Basically, the first step is "flush", the remainder is "invalidate".
> >
> > Indeed, step 3 throws away dirty inodes, so why on earth would we
> > even bother with step 1 to try to clean them in the first place?
> > IOWs, the flush is irrelevant in the hot-unplug case as it will
> > fail to flush stuff, and then we just throw the stuff we
> > failed to write away.
> >
> > But in attempting to flush all the dirty data and metadata, we can
> > cause all sorts of other potential re-entrancy based deadlocks due
> > to attempting to issue IO. Whether they be freezer based or through
> > IO error handling triggering device removal or some other means, it
> > is irrelevant - it is the flush that causes all the problems.
>
> Isn't the root cause there hotunplug reentering anything above it in
> the first place. The problem with your proposal is that filesystem
> isn't the only place where this could happen. Even with no filesystem
> involved, block device could still be dirty and IOs pending in
> whatever form - dirty bdi, bios queued in dm, requests queued in
> request_queue, whatever really - and if the hotunplug path reenters
> any of the higher layers in a way which blocks IO processing, it will
> deadlock.

Entirely possible.

> If knowing that the underlying device has gone away somehow helps
> filesystem, maybe we can expose that interface and avoid flushing
> after hotunplug but that merely hides the possible deadlock scenario
> that you're concerned about. Nothing is really solved.

Except that a user of the block device has been informed that it is
now gone and has been freed from under it. i.e. we can *immediately*
inform the user that their mounted filesystem is now stuffed and
supress all the errors that are going to occur as a result of
sync_filesystem() triggering IO failures all over the place and then
having to react to that.i

Indeed, there is no guarantee that sync_filesystem will result in
the filesystem being shut down - if the filesystem is clean then
nothing will happen, and it won't be until the user modifies some
metadata that a shutdown will be triggered. That could be a long
time after the device has been removed....

> We can try to do the same thing at each layer and implement quick exit
> path for hot unplug all the way down to the driver but that kinda
> sounds complex and fragile to me. It's a lot larger surface to cover
> when the root cause is hotunplug allowed to reenter anything at all
> from IO path. This is especially true because hotunplug can trivially
> be made fully asynchronous in most cases. In terms of destruction of
> higher level objects, warm and hot unplugs can and should behave
> identical.

I don't see that there is a difference between a warm and hot unplug
from a filesystem point of view - both result in the filesystem's
backing device being deleted and freed, and in both cases we have to
take the same action....

> > We need to either get rid of the flush on device failure/hot-unplug,
> > or turn it into a callout for the superblock to take an appropriate
> > action (e.g. shutting down the filesystem) rather than trying to
> > issue IO. i.e. allow the filesystem to take appropriate action of
> > shutting down the filesystem and invalidating it's caches.
>
> There could be cases where some optimizations for hot unplug could be
> useful. Maybe suppressing pointless duplicate warning messages or
> whatnot but I'm highly doubtful anything will be actually fixed that
> way. We'll be most likely making bugs just less reproducible.
>
> > Indeed, in XFS there's several other caches that could contain dirty
> > metadata that isn't invalidated by invalidate_partition(), and so
> > unless the filesystem is shut down it can continue to try to issue
> > IO on those buffers to the removed device until the filesystem is
> > shutdown or unmounted.
>
> Do you mean xfs never gives up after IO failures?

There's this thing called a transient IO failure which we have to
handle. e.g multipath taking several minutes to detect a path
failure and fail over, whilst in the mean time IO errors are
reported after a 30s timeout. So some types of async metadata write
IO failures are simply rescheduled for a short time in the future.
They'll either succeed, or continual failure will eventually trigger
some kind of filesystem failure.

If it's a synchronous write or a write that we cannot tolerate even
transient errors on (e.g. journal writes), then we'll shut down the
filesystem immediately.

> > Seriously, Tejun, the assumption that invalidate_partition() knows
> > enough about filesystems to safely "invalidate" them is just broken.
> > These days, filesystems often reference multiple block devices, and
> > so the way hotplug currently treats them as "one device, one
> > filesystem" is also fundamentally wrong.
> >
> > So there's many ways in which the hot-unplug code is broken in it's
> > use of invalidate_partition(), the least of which is the
> > dependencies caused by re-entrancy. We really need a
> > "sb->shutdown()" style callout as step one in the above process, not
> > fsync_bdev().
>
> If filesystems need an indication that the underlying device is no
> longer functional, please go ahead and add it, but please keep in mind
> all these are completely asynchronous. Nothing guarantees you that
> such events would happen in any specific order. IOW, you can be at
> *ANY* point in your warm unplug path and the device is hot unplugged,
> which essentially forces all the code paths to be ready for the worst,
> and that's exactly why there isn't much effort in trying to separate
> out warm and hot unplug paths.

I'm not concerned about the problems that might happen if you hot
unplug during a warm unplug. All I care about is when a device is
invalidated the filesystem on top of it can take appropriate action.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner