Re: [cfg80211 / iwlwifi] setting wireless regulatory domain doesn'twork.

From: Arend van Spriel
Date: Wed Dec 18 2013 - 04:16:52 EST

On 12/17/2013 11:06 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> We have literally had this *exact* same issue with firmware loading.
> Network drivers shouldn't try to load firmware at module load time.
> Same deal.

It is kind of a chicken and egg problem for (wireless) networking
drivers. To get IFF_UP from the network layer you have to register a
netdevice. For wireless drivers this means you have to register a wiphy
device with cfg80211 which flags capabilities and optionally are custom
regulatory domain. That information depends on the device and firmware
used. And there we have a full circle.

Regards,
Arend