Re: [cfg80211 / iwlwifi] setting wireless regulatory domain doesn't work.

From: Sander Eikelenboom
Date: Tue Dec 17 2013 - 16:49:27 EST

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 09:33:19PM +0100, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> [...]
>> > It's the official Debian package.
> [...]
>> > I will report back when i have tested converting the wireless stuff to loadable modules / seeing if i can put the CRDA stuff in initrd.
>>
>> With all the wireless stuff switched to loadable modules it *does* work.
>>
>> So the problem is that:
>> The current code blocks all future regulatory domain setting attempts forever (till the next reboot)
>> when it can't find the CRDA. This can and does happen when the modules are compiled in and the CRDA is not in initrd.
>>
>> So from the question department:
>>
>> A) Why doesn't the code timeout the processing of a regulatory domain hint and remove the pending request when it aborts ?
>> B) Why isn't the CRDA treated as firmware and placed in /lib/firmware, which has a much greater chance of automagically appearing in initrd ?
> [...]

> It doesn't make any logical sense to put a userland program in
> /lib/firmware, and it wouldn't have any effect on the initramfs
> builders I'm familiar with (which look at module metadata to work
> out which files to include from /lib/firmware).

Ah yes of course stupid, it's not just a blob of the regdb but
a userland program.

> Debian official kernels use modular drivers, and neither
> initramfs-tools nor dracut includes wireless drivers in the initramfs.
> If you build a custom kernel with built-in drivers then you most
> likely don't need an initramfs at all.

> As maintainer of crda in Debian, I could add an initramfs hook that
> would include it in an initramfs. But I don't understand why it would
> be worth doing so. Why is it so useful to have wireless drivers
> built-in *and* an initramfs? If you think I should do this then open
> a bug (reportbug crda).

Indeed, I looked for a crda hook for initramfs-tools but didn't find it, so skipped that idea
for the moment.

So if i combine the two .. it's essentially just a very bad idea to compile the wireless stuff in.
It needs a access to a userland program at module load time, or it will block forever.