Re: process 'stuck' at exit.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Dec 10 2013 - 14:55:14 EST

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So this is pretty unlikely. The retry requires:
>
> get_futex_value_locked() == EFAULT;
>
> Now we drop the hash bucket locks and do:
>
> get_user();
>
> And if that get_user() faults again, we bail out.

I think you need to look closer.

We have at least also that "futex_proxy_trylock_atomic() returns
-EAGAIN" case. Which triggers at some exit condition. Another thread
in the same group, perhaps never completing the exit because it's
waiting for this one? I dunno, I didn't look any closer (but this does
make me think "Hey, we should add Oleg to the Cc too", since
PF_EXITING is involved).. So maybe there is some situation where that
EAGAIN will keep happening, forever..

Now, I'm *not* saying that that is it. It's quite possible/likely some
other loop, but I do have to say that it sure isn't _obvious_. And
that whole EAGAIN return case is quite deep and special, so ...

Linus

PS: Oleg - the whole thread is on lkml. Ping me if you need more context.