Re: fs: proc: lockdep spew and questions

From: Sasha Levin
Date: Sun Dec 08 2013 - 22:14:13 EST

On 12/08/2013 05:10 PM, Al Viro wrote:
On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 03:57:53PM -0500, Sasha Levin wrote:
Hi all,

I've been looking at permissions in procfs, and noticed that
directories are usually added with execute permission.

As far as I know, there's nothing executable by default inside
procfs, and on top of that, many of the files there don't deal well
with being executed so it's easy to cause lockdep spews (one below).

Is there a reason execute bit is set for directories?

Take any introductory textbook on Unix and read the chapter on permissions.
Or say chmod a-x ~, if you prefer education by self-LART...

Uh, forgot about that.

So how would you suggest to deal with the execution issue in procfs?

Thanks,
Sasha