Re: Kbuild: Ignore GREP_OPTIONS env variable

From: Michal Marek
Date: Wed Nov 06 2013 - 23:43:54 EST

Dne 30.10.2013 17:06, Borislav Petkov napsal(a):
> So I had defined GREP_OPTIONS=--color=always on one of my boxes and had
> forgotten about it and the kernel build started failing because we use
> grep quite a while in the tree and it started issuing shell color markup
> which generated garbage files, like the syscall headers on x86, for
> example.
>
> I have a fix below which seems to take care of it but what is the
> general opinion: Do we want to be more robust against the environment we
> find on a machine before building the kernel or let the user figure it
> out himself that he should be using
>
> GREP_OPTIONS=--color=auto
>
> in the first place and it is his own moronic fault if he does 'always'?

I think that on a scale from one to ten, building with
GREP_OPTIONS=--color=always and building with LC_COLLATE=<language with
non-ASCII sorting rules> score about the same. And are already
sanitizing the LC_* variables.

> +GREP_OPTIONS=
> +export GREP_OPTIONS

Just remove it from the enviromnet completely, like the next statement does:

> +
> # Avoid funny character set dependencies
> unexport LC_ALL
> LC_COLLATE=C

Michal