Re: linux-next: manual merge of the block tree with the tree

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Fri Nov 01 2013 - 16:54:14 EST

On 11/01/2013 02:41 PM, Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> On 11/01/2013 03:27 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On 11/01/2013 02:22 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>>> Hi Jens,

>>> I can only agree with you. It is from the aio-direct tree (probably
>>> misnamed by me) (git://github.com/kleikamp/linux-shaggy.git#for-next) run
>>> by Dave Kleikamp.
>>
>> Dave, input requested.
>>
>> In any case, I would suggest dropping the aio-direct tree instead of the
>> entire block tree for coverage purposes, if merge or build failures
>> happen because of it.
>
> I've had these patches in linux-next since August, and I'd really like
> to push them in the 3.13 merge window.
>
> Are there other problems besides this merge issue? I'll take a closer
> look at Stephen's merge patch and see if I find any other issues, but I
> really don't want to pull these patches out of linux-next now.

I'm not saying that the patches should be dropped or not go into 3.13.
What I'm saying is that if the choice is between having the bio and
blk-mq stuff in linux-next or an addon to the loop driver, the decision
should be quite clear.

So we've three immediate options:

1) You base it on top of the block tree
2) I carry the loop updates
3) You hand Stephen a merge patch for the resulting merge of the two

It's one of the problems with too-many-tree, imho. You end up with
dependencies that could have been solved if the work had been applied in
the right upstream tree. Sometimes that's not even enough though, if you
end up crossing boundaries.

--
Jens Axboe