Re: Strange location and name for platform devices whendevice-tree is used.

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Fri Nov 01 2013 - 01:09:20 EST

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 16:03 +1100, NeilBrown wrote:

> Do you mean we could allow multiple devices on the one bus to have the same
> name, but get sysfs to notice and de-duplicate by mangling one name? I don't
> think I like that but I might have misunderstood.

What other option do we have ?

> On my device I seem to have some platform devices registered through
> device-tree, and some registered through platform_device_add (e.g.
> 'alarmtimer'). Guaranteeing they remain disjoint sets if the kernel is
> allowed to evolve independently of the devicetree might be tricky....
> Maybe we need "/sys/devices/platform" and "/sys/devices/dt_platform" ??

No, I think device-tree created platform devices should go
to /sys/devices/platform like the "classic" ones.

The problem is really how to deal with potential name duplication. We
could try to register, if we get -EEXIST (assuming sysfs returns the
right stuff), try again with ".1" etc...

> Hoping someone who understands the device model better than me will help.

Greg ? :-)

.../...

> The 'backlight' device is a virtual device. It uses a 'pwm' device to
> provide the variable brightness to the back light.
>
> The 'pwm' device itself is virtual, making use of a 'dmtimer' to provide the
> timing... The timer device (timer11 in omap3.dtsi) has a 'reg' property.
>
> A random example from current mainline is
> arch/arm/boot/dts/am335x-evmsk.dts
> which has 'backlight' as a virtual device compatible with pwm-backlight.
> It also has 'gpio-keys', 'gpio-leds', and 'regulator-fixed' compatible
> virtual devices. They seem fairly common.

Ok.

Cheers,
Ben.