Re: ktap inclusion in drivers/staging/?

From: Jovi Zhangwei
Date: Thu Oct 24 2013 - 08:11:41 EST

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-10-24 at 09:58 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> Greg,
>>
>> I was surprised to see 'ktap' appear in the staging tree silently,
>> via these commits that are visible in today's staging-next:
>>
>> 2c856b9e3e06 staging: ktap: remove unused <asm/syscall.h> header file
>> 687b63a3bfd5 staging: ktap: update email name in MAINTAINERS
>> c63a164271f8 staging: ktap: add to the kernel tree
>>
>> ktap is pretty fresh instrumentation code, announced on lkml a
>> couple of months ago, and so far I haven't seen much technical
>> discussion of integrating ktap upstream, mostly I suspect because
>> not a _single_ patch was sent to linux-kernel for review. (!)
>
> I feel I'm partially to blame. Jovi has sent us several emails to look
> at his tree and I told him I would when I get time. What I should have
> done was told him to break up the changes and send them out as a patch
> series.

Steven, it's my fault, I'm really sorry for this.

When Greg kindly tried to help merge this into staging tree, I should
talk to you guys firstly, at that time I thought drivers/staging would
be a proper place to cleanup code or integrate with other subsystem,
I'm wrong on this, entirely my fault.

>> An announcement of a Git tree was made (which Git tree is not very
>> structured), and some very minimal discussion ensued, but no actual
>> patches were sent with an intent to merge, no technical arguments
>> were made in favor of merging and nothing conclusive was achieved.
>
> Again, this may be partially our fault. We should have told Jovi to send
> out the patches and a pointer to a git tree is not acceptable. Then we
> could have had the necessary discussions required for this.
>
> But I agree, this should not be just dumped into the staging tree until
> the patches themselves have been posted and reviewed.
>
> I'll have to NAK it too.

Accept, also with Ingo's.

I admit there have many places need to cleanup in ktap code, and there
also have a long todo list, I will finish it before start review process.

Again, really sorry for this, please forgive me this mistake.

Jovi.