Re: checkpatch guide for newbies

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Wed Sep 25 2013 - 22:53:52 EST

Am 26.09.2013 04:11, schrieb Al Viro:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:10:57AM +0200, Alexander Holler wrote:
>
>> Sure and I'm the last one who wants that people do have to use
>> anything else than i for simple loop counters. And allowing longer
>> lines doesn't mean people have to use long names, it allows them use
>> them (if it makes sense). That's a big difference.
>>
>> On the other side it's almost impossible to use verbose variable or
>> function names where they would make sense. Not to speak about all
>> the ugly splitted lines just to be below that ancient CGA limit.
>
> Yeah, the things people will do to avoid <gasp> not nesting the living
> hell out of their code...
>
> Tell you what - pick a random place where the code is nested 8 levels
> deep and I'm fairly sure that you will end up with your finger on one
> hell of ugliness. Ugliness in logical structure, not in forced line
> breaks. Let's experiment... Aha. In drivers/pci/hotplug/ibmphp_pci.c,
> 258 lines of deeply indented shite^Wcode that must be good since it compiles:
>
> <avert your eyes if you've got a weak stomach>

I'm aware of people which do nest 8 levels deep just to avoid a return,
break or goto.

But trying to limit that by limiting the line length is like ...
(choose your own own misguided comparison, it's too late for me I
currently only meorize some of those which don't make sense in english)

Regards,

Alexander Holler