Re: checkpatch guide for newbies

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Tue Sep 24 2013 - 13:26:48 EST

Am 24.09.2013 18:36, schrieb Bjorn Helgaas:
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:01 AM, Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Long Lines

Historically screens were 80 characters wide and it was annoying when code went
over the edge. These days we have larger screens, but we keep the 80 character
limit because it forces us to write simpler code.

Sorry, but that just isn't true and never was. Having a line wide limit of 80 characters while forcing tabs to be 8 characters long limits most code to just 72 characters. And even less (max 64) inside constructs like if, for or while.

The only outcome of that totally silly rule is that variable names will become shorted to silly acronyms almost nobody does understand make code unreadable.

I always feel like beeing in the IT stone age when programmers thought they have to use variable names like a, b and c to save storage, memory or to type less when reading linux kernel code.

Regards,

Alexander Holler