Re: [RFC] gpio/omap: auto-setup a GPIO when used as an IRQ

From: Javier Martinez Canillas
Date: Tue Sep 24 2013 - 03:55:29 EST

On 09/24/2013 09:39 AM, Sricharan R wrote:
> Hi,
> On Monday 23 September 2013 10:37 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>> * Javier Martinez Canillas <javier.martinez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [130923 10:09]:
>>>>
>>> Yes it still work when booting using board files. I tested on my OMAP3 board and
>>> it worked in both DT and legacy booting mode.
>> OK great.

>>> Indeed, I did set bank->mod_usage |= 1 << offset so the bank is enabled if the
>>> device goes to suspended and then resumed but I completely forget about the
>>> clearing path when the IRQ is freed.
>>>
>>> Which makes me think that we should probably maintain two usage variables, one
>>> for GPIO and another one for IRQ and check both of them on the suspend/resume pm
>>> functions.
>> Yes that it seems that they should be treated separately.
> To understand, why cant the flag be cleared in gpio_irq_shutdown ?

Hi Sricharan,

Without this patch today drivers do this:

gpio_request(gpio, "foo IRQ"); // bank->mod_usage |= 1 << offset
gpio_direction_input(gpio);

and then request a IRQ with:

irq = gpio_to_irq(gpio);
request_irq(irq, ...);

later on its cleanup path:

free_irq(irq, dev);
gpio_free(gpio) // bank->mod_usage &= ~(1 << offset);

So if you clear the flag on gpio_irq_shutdown then bank module won't be enabled
after a suspend making drivers using the GPIO after freeing the IRQ to fail.

So the idea is to have something like this:

a) Drivers that request both the GPIO and IRQ

gpio_request(gpio, "foo IRQ"); // bank->mod_usage |= 1 << offset
gpio_direction_input(gpio);

irq = gpio_to_irq(gpio);
request_irq(irq, ...); // bank->irq_usage |= 1 << offset

free_irq(irq, dev); // bank->irq_usage &= ~(1 << offset);
gpio_free(gpio) // bank->mod_usage &= ~(1 << offset);

b) Drivers that just request the IRQ:

irq = gpio_to_irq(gpio);
request_irq(irq, ...); // bank->irq_usage |= 1 << offset
free_irq(irq, dev); // bank->irq_usage &= ~(1 << offset);

So irq_usage or mod_usage is set means that the bank has to be enabled and if
both are not set means that the bank module can be disabled.

> Regards,
> Sricharan

Best regards,
Javier