Re: [sched_delayed] sched: RT throttling activated

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Aug 23 2013 - 08:10:21 EST

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 01:35:24PM +0200, Martin Mokrejs wrote:

> # ps -deo pid,cls,cmd | grep -e 'RR \[' -e 'FF \['

This explicitly only lists kernel threads; from your other comment:

> The shell/python tasks have 'TS' in place of the FF value in the second column
> so I guess they are not requiring realtime responsiveness.

I'll assume you actually inspected the other tasks and found none.

> 7 FF [migration/0]
> 10 FF [watchdog/0]
> 11 FF [watchdog/1]
> 12 FF [migration/1]
> 17 FF [migration/2]
> 22 FF [migration/3]

The 'migration' threads only look like FIFO threads but they're secretly
not and don't count to the limit. The watchdog threads shouldn't run
much either.

> 2161 FF [irq/50-iwlwifi]

Oh a threaded interrupt, I presume you're not using "threadiqrs" since
this is the only interrupt thread around and I see a
'request_threaded_irq()' call in
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/pcie/trans.c

And wow, why would that thing consume that much cpu.

Johill, ever seen the iwlwifi interrupt go 'funny' and consume gobs of
cpu-time?

> > Nope, you get that message once to tell you that we throttle RT tasks.
>
> I think the message could improved to explain this is a warn ONCE message and
> that there is no "[sched_delayed] sched: RT throttling deactivated" counterpart
> message to be anticipated.

Would something like:

sched: [ONCE] RT throttle hit -- inspect system configuration.

Be a better message?

Also, could you clarify what exact kernel version you're running? I
couldn't find it in your previous messages.