Re: [RFC 17/17] clk: zynq: remove call to of_clk_init

From: SÃren Brinkmann
Date: Thu Aug 22 2013 - 20:28:51 EST

Hi Sebastian,

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 04:04:31AM +0200, Sebastian Hesselbarth wrote:
> With arch/arm calling of_clk_init(NULL) from time_init(), we can now
> remove it from corresponding drivers/clk code.

I think that would break Zynq.
If I see this correctly you call of_clk_init() from common code,
_before_ the SOC specific time init function is called.
The problem is, that we have code setting up a global pointer which is
required by zynq_clk_setup() which is triggered when of_clk_init() is
called.

Let me try to illustrate the current call graph:

time_init()
zynq_timer_init() // this machines init_time()
zynq_slcr_init() // setup System Level Control Registers including a global pointer
zynq_clock_init()
of_clk_init()
zynq_clk_setup() // requires pointer setup in zynq_slcr_init()

IIUC, your series would change this to:
time_init()
of_clk_init()
zynq_clk_setup() // SLCR pointer is not setup/NULL
zynq_timer_init()
zynq_slcr_init() // now the pointer becomes valid

SÃren