Re: Proposed stable release changes

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Aug 21 2013 - 10:55:11 EST

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:17:25 +0200
Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx> wrote:

> This is also what I suspected though I have no data to confirm or deny that.
> If this happens to be the case, maybe then there should be some barrier such
> as :
> - everything merged at -rc4 or before gets backported after the next -rc
> - everything from -rc5 and upper waits for next -rc1 unless tagged urgent ?

No, I think a full -rc cycle would be good. All commits tagged for
stable that appeared in -rc4 (added from -rc3), must wait till -rc5
before it is added to stable. That way we have a week of full exposure
to find problems.

I guess the other question to ask is, how long does it take for a
problem to appear after hitting mainline? If a problem is found in -rc4
before -rc5 comes out, then this would be sufficient. But if the
problem from -rc4 isn't found till -rc6 then that tells us something
too.

We should be using pass data to determine these heuristics. But I don't
have that data, but Greg should.

-- Steve