Re: rfc: trivial patches and slow deaths?

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Aug 20 2013 - 18:25:08 EST

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:11:18 -0700 Joe Perches <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andrew? Do you want to handle patches for defects that
> are both obvious _and_ trivial?

I look at everything! If I like it and see that Jiri was cc'ed I try
to remember to cc him on the commit.

> > If it's trivial it's not time critical. If it's time critical it's not
> > trivial.
>
> We disagree on the definition of trivial.
> Trivial can also mean simple and immediately evident.

I find that I often remove "trivial" from changelogs and titles. Patches
which are marked thus are often non-trivial and merit a bit of thought.

For example, I somewhat disagree that even
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2833648/ was trivial. It changes
the format of kernel logs and might have implications for people who
are parsing those logs. Unlikely, but one needs to read each and every
conversion and decide on the risk factor.