Re: UEFI Plugfest 2013 -- New Orleans

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Mon Aug 19 2013 - 17:30:27 EST

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:06:51PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> You effectively seem to be suggesting that nothing will ever get better
> on the UEFI side, and the only benefit of the plugfest is that we get to
> see the latest brokenness and try to come up with a workaround for it
> before the consumers are afflicted with it?

Pretty much. There's a decent chance that board vendors already have the
broken code before we end up testing against it.

> That's a really pessimistic view, and I'd really like us to be a little
> more optimistic. Things can't be, or at least can't *stay*, that bad.
> Surely?

Most vendors don't care about testing against Linux, and we can't make
them care. What they're more likely to test against is the SCT, and
extending that to cover a wider range of test cases (such as exhausting
variable space) is much more likely to result in things being caught
before anything is shipped - but even then, board vendors are going to
take IBV code, perform "value add", never run a test suite and just make
sure it boots Windows.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx