Re: [Help Test] kdump, x86, acpi: Reproduce CPU0 SMI corruptionissue after unsetting BSP flag

From: Petr Tesarik
Date: Mon Aug 19 2013 - 09:46:36 EST

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 19:59:53 -0700
"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Sorry Eric, I'm not clear to what you mean by ``short one core''...
> >Which are you suggesting? Disabling BSP if crash happens on AP is
> >reasonable?
> >Or restricting cpus to a single one only just as the current kdump
> >configuration is reasonable?
>
> I am suggesting we start every cpu except the BSP from the AP we started on.
>
> N-1 cpus seems like a good tradeoff between performance and reliability for those who need it.

FWIW a large customers of ours is fine with such a limitation. And I
have already tested this approach manually (starting the kdump kernel
with maxcpus=1 and hot-plugging the remaining APs from user-space).

Now that this approach is in line with upstream efforts, I'm going to
test it on some more machines and see if there are any troubles.

@Hatayama-san:
> BTW, I have question that does normal kdump work well if crash happens
> on some AP? I wonder the same issue could happen on the 2nd kernel.

I'm not sure what you mean. Normal kdump starts with "maxcpus=1", and
yes, that works even if the secondary kernel is booted from an AP. OTOH
I suspect that not having any BSP in the system may be the cause of some
mysterious random reboots and/or hangs experienced by some customers.

I'll try setting the BSP flag on the boot CPU unconditionally and see
if it makes any difference.

Petr Tesarik