RE: [char-misc 3.10] mei: nfc: fix nfc device freeing

From: Winkler, Tomas
Date: Thu Jun 06 2013 - 03:57:34 EST

> On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 09:28:30AM +0300, Tomas Winkler wrote:
> > The nfc_dev is a static variable and is not cleaned properly upon
> > reset mainly ndev->cl and ndev->cl_info are not set to NULL after
> > freeing which
>
> Then it needs to be made dynamic, don't paper over the bug by zeroing it
> out, you really have a much larger issue here that just hasn't hit you yet.
>
> No 'struct device' should ever be in a static variable, please fix this properly.

Greg, I was looking into it and as in realistic configuration is we are fine as there is only one possible MEI NFC device on whole system.
nfc_dev is also not 'a struct device' type is a singleton then holds NFC configuration.
Currently changing the behavior would require rather a larger fix and this oneliner effectively fixes the crash.

I don't mind to fix it properly but we are already in rc3, let us know what path to go.

Thanks
Tomas