Re: [patch 1/2] arch: invoke oom-killer from page fault

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Jun 05 2013 - 23:57:53 EST

On Wed, 5 Jun 2013, Johannes Weiner wrote:

> Since '1c0fe6e mm: invoke oom-killer from page fault', page fault
> handlers should not directly kill faulting tasks in an out of memory
> condition.

I have no objection to the patch, but there's no explanation given here
why exiting with a kill shouldn't be done. Is it because of memory
reserves and there is no guarantee that current will be able to exit? Or
is it just for consistency with other archs?

> Instead, they should be invoking the OOM killer to pick
> the right task. Convert the remaining architectures.

If this is a matter of memory reserves, I guess you could point people who
want the current behavior (avoiding the expensiveness of the tasklist scan
in the oom killer for example) to /proc/sys/vm/oom_kill_allocating_task?

This changelog is a bit cryptic in its motivation.