Re: [RFC] clocksource: Add clocksource drivers menu.

From: John Stultz
Date: Mon Jun 03 2013 - 14:19:41 EST

On 06/03/2013 12:23 AM, Srinivas KANDAGATLA wrote:
On 31/05/13 19:40, John Stultz wrote:
And only just now did I notice that there are user-prompts in the
drivers/clocksource/Kconfig.

I suspect the platform support options can safely select the proper
clocksource config options without requiring the user to configure it.
For the most part this is the case, even so folks still introduced some
unnecessary clocksource config options (unnecessary as they don't prompt
the user, default to y and depend on another config).

It looks like only: CLKSRC_DBX500_PRCMU &
CLKSRC_DBX500_PRCMU_SCHED_CLOCK prompt the user right now.

Can you explain why its necessary the user has to be prompted here?
The only reason is to do with "how we present *SCHED_CLOCK options"?

If we make the *SCHED_CLOCK options default without prompts, then we do
not need a menu. These options can be selected at platform level
Kconfigs. We could possible cleanup the existing prompts.

Right. This is what I'm asking for. Since there are only two options that prompt the user, I'm asking if there is a reason the user needs to be prompted.

I not, we can just remove the prompts and simplify the config.

If there is a valid reason to prompt the user, then we may need to add a menu, but I'd probably prefer we add the option in the platform menu, rather then generate a new driver menu.

thanks
-john