Re: [regression, bisected] x86: efi: Pass boot services variableinfo to runtime code

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Fri May 31 2013 - 10:48:58 EST

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 07:42:37AM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 15:34 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > I agree that a revert is probably the right thing to do here, but the
> > original patch was there to permit a more accurate calculation of the
> > amount of nvram in use, not to provide additional debug information.
> > Reverting it is going to differently break a different set of systems
>
> The only ones that are broken are the Samsung ones. Samsung claims to
> have fixed their UEFI firmware, so we could refer any problems to them.

No, reverting this gets us back to the old state of refusing any writes
if more than 50% of the variable store *appears* to be used, regardless
of whether it's actually used. Which, unfortunately, makes it impossible
to install Linux on most UEFI machines. In any case, Samsung clearly
haven't fixed this problem on a pile of machines that have already
shipped.

> Could we hedge the QueryVariableInfo checks with a test for Samsung in
> the UEFI identity strings?

We could, but apparently some Lenovos also have a similar problem. We
just don't have the information we need to implement a comprehensive
blacklist, and if we get it wrong we're back to destroying people's
hardware.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx