Re: [Patch v2] skbuff: Hide GFP_ATOMIC page allocation failures fordropped packets

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Tue May 28 2013 - 17:32:42 EST

On 05/28/2013 12:29 PM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 13:15 -0300, Rafael Aquini wrote:

The real problem seems to be that more and more the network stack (drivers, perhaps)
is relying on chunks of contiguous page-blocks without a fallback mechanism to
order-0 page allocations. When memory gets fragmented, these alloc failures
start to pop up more often and they scare ordinary sysadmins out of their paints.

Where do you see that ?

I see exactly the opposite trend.

We have less and less buggy drivers, and we want to catch last
offenders.

These backtraces would still get printed out for drivers
that DO do the right thing and fall back to smaller
allocations.

The initial failed large allocation would cause a backtrace.