Re: Fwd: [GIT PULL] timer changes for v3.10

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue May 07 2013 - 17:51:57 EST

Hi!

> >>We also do refined calibration now on the TSC asynchronously over a
> >>period of seconds at boot up that gives us much better accuracy then
> >>the fast calibration. This helps provide much more consistent
> >>boot-to-boot TSC frequencies.
> >On android (and this is targetted at android, right?) system is going
> >to suspend basically as soon as it boots. Will refined calibration
> >have enough time to do its job?
> I don't *think* this is a concern. The refined calibration only
> takes a few seconds while the system is booting and has always
> completed before userspace starts on the systems I have. Even so, I
> don't believe on boot Android will trigger the autosleep code until
> its userland is up and running, which takes more then a few seconds
> on the devices I've seen.

Userspace has to be running, right. It should boot in 10 seconds or
so.

> >And... reason for all this is that RTC has one second granularity when
> >accessed naively. But surely we could poll RTC X times a second,
> >getting error down by factor of X?
> Well, we can poll the RTC trying to get closer to the second edge,
> but that's somewhat expensive, and for suspend/resume would delay
> things more then whats acceptable.

Well, if

> Sorry. You seem to not like the merged change, but I guess I'm not
> quite sure what exactly your objection is here.

I'm not exactly sure what my objections are.

TSC was not designed for long-term precise timekeeping. I guess it
may work ok for short naps, but some people suspend their machines for
longer than that. Plus I wonder how it will interfere with
/etc/adjtime.

Pavel