Re: VFAT complains that my file system may be corrupted

From: Oleksij Rempel
Date: Mon May 06 2013 - 14:44:14 EST

Am 06.05.2013 20:36, schrieb Tony Luck:
Built Linus' tree this morning (HEAD =
d7ab7302f970a254997687a1cdede421a5635c68) and got this message:

FAT-fs (sda1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be
corrupt. Please run fsck.

when booting my ia64 machine. The message may well be legitimate
because I did crash the machine, so the filessytem was not unmounted
cleanly.

BUT ... If I unmount and run fsck as it suggests, then I see:

# fsck /boot/efi
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.16
dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
Differences: (offset:original/backup)
65:01/00
1) Copy original to backup
2) Copy backup to original
3) No action

I tried option 3 - fsck made no other changes, but I still see the
message. I tried
option 1 - and I still see the message. So I went for option 2 ... and
guess what,
I still see the message when I mount this filesystem.

Note that with either option 1 or 2 "fsck" says:

Leaving file system unchanged.
/dev/sda1: 20 files, 19865/255496 clusters

This is the first time I've ever seen this message ... but I haven't
had this system crash for some time, so not really sure when this may
have started.

Hi Tony,
i provided patches for dosfstools for some time now, you need at least v3.0.14. If your system do not provide it you will need to grub it here:
http://daniel-baumann.ch/gitweb/?p=software/dosfstools.git

--
Regards,
Oleksij