Re: Regression: ftdi_sio is slow (since Wed Oct 10 15:05:06 2012)

From: Stas Sergeev
Date: Sat May 04 2013 - 07:46:23 EST

04.05.2013 15:15, Johan Hovold ÐÐÑÐÑ:
The query takes longer than the transmit at decent baudrates (>=38k)
and under the assumption that flow control isn't causing any delays.

But you do have a point, and I have been meaning to look into whether
the added overhead of checking the hardware buffers could be mitigated
by adding wait_until_sent support to usb-serial. This way the we would
only query the hardware buffers on tty_wait_until_sent (e.g. at close)
and select and TIOCMOUTQ would not suffer. This is also the way things
are handled in serial_core.
Thanks for taking a look.
Indeed, it seems .wait_until_sent is the best candidate for that
kind of things, and the patch in question would even match its
description be it using .wait_until_sent and not .chars_in_buffer.
Please count on testing your patches here when they are ready.