Re: [tip:x86/urgent] x86/kconfig: Add a Kconfig shortcut for buildingworking KVM guest kernels

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed May 01 2013 - 18:37:35 EST

On Thu, 2 May 2013, Borislav Petkov wrote:

> Ok, so let's step back a bit here: I've added this option with the idea
> to have it as a shortcut so that you don't go search for every commodity
> option when you want to boot the kernel as a kvm guest. Currently I have
> it in all.config when doing randconfig builds here. While I'm doing the
> randbuilds, why not boot it in kvm too while at it.

If that shortcut is enabling options that fail to build, it may not be
considered so useful.

> So I'm pretty sure we won't be able to plug all holes. However, let's
> try to plug only those which hinder *real* usage instead of contrived
> stuff.

It's contrived to not have CONFIG_NET_CORE enabled?

And why are you enabling CONFIG_PCI_MSI for systems that don't have
ARCH_SUPPORTS_MSI? You need CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC and CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC.

So let's take a step back from your step back: you want to have a shortcut
to build a guest. Great, so you're enabling options that such a kernel
needs. The problem is that you're neglecting options that those options
need. It means your patch is incomplete.