Re: [RFC] perf: need to expose sched_clock to correlate user sampleswith kernel samples

From: David Ahern
Date: Sun Mar 31 2013 - 12:24:05 EST

On 3/14/13 1:57 PM, Pawel Moll wrote:
Ok, how about the code below? I must say I have some doubts about the
resolution, as there seem to be no generic way of figuring it out for
the sched_clock (the arch/arm/kernel/sched_clock.c is actually
calculating it, but than just prints it out and nothing more).

And, to summarize, we went through 3 ideas:

1. ioctl() - http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1433933
2. syscall - http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1437057
3. POSIX clock - below

John also suggested that maybe the perf could use CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW
instead of local/sched_clock().

Any chance a decision can be reached in time for 3.10? Seems like the simplest option is the perf event based ioctl.

Converting/correlating perf_clock timestamps to time-of-day is a feature I have been trying to get into perf for over 2 years. This is a big piece needed for that goal -- along with the xtime tracepoints:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/3/19/433

David