Re: ipc,sem: sysv semaphore scalability

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Mar 29 2013 - 22:09:26 EST

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Emmanuel Benisty <benisty.e@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I had to slightly modify the patch since it wouldn't match the changes
> introduced by 7-7-ipc-sem-fine-grained-locking-for-semtimedop.patch,
> hope that was the right thing to do. So, what I tried was: original 7
> patches + the one liner + your patch blindly modified by me on the top
> of 3.9-rc4 and I'm still having twilight zone issues.

Ok, please send your patch so that I can double-check what you did,
but it was simple enough that you probably did the right thing.

Sad. Your case definitely looks like a double rcu-free, as shown by
the fact that when you enabled SLUB debugging the oops happened with
the use-after-free pattern (it's __rcu_reclaim() doing the
"head->func(head);" thing, and "func" is 0x6b6b6b6b6b6b6b6b, so "head"
has already been free'd once).

So ipc_rcu_putref() and a refcounting error looked very promising.as a
potential explanation.

The 'un' undo structure is also free'd with rcu, but the locking
around that seems much more robust. The undo entry is on two lists
(sma->list_id, under sma->sem_perm.lock and ulp->list_proc, under
ulp->lock). But those locks are actually tested with
assert_spin_locked() in all the relevant places, and the code actually
looks sane. So I had high hopes for ipc_rcu_putref()...

Hmm. Except for exit_sem() that does odd things. You have preemption
enabled, don't you? exit_sem() does a lookup of the first list_proc
entry under tcy_read_lock to lookup un->semid, and then it drops the
rcu read lock. At which point "un" is no longer reliable, I think. But
then it still uses "un->semid", rather than the stable value it looked
up under the rcu read lock. Which looks bogus.

So I'd like you to test a few more things:

(a) In exit_sem(), can you change the

sma = sem_lock_check(tsk->nsproxy->ipc_ns, un->semid);

to use just "semid" rather than "un->semid", because I don't
think "un" is stable here.

(b) does the problem go away if you change disable CONFIG_PREEMPT
(perhaps to PREEMPT_NONE or PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY?)

Linus