Re: [GIT PULL] block fixes for 3.9-rc

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Mar 29 2013 - 15:57:32 EST

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Outside of "that's what I have always done", the intent was for others
> that send patches through me to know what to base it off, if not
> previous release. All those folks know that for-3.x/drivers is for the
> next x release, and that for-linus is for the existing tree.

Ok. Whatever. Feel free to continue doing it, but at least then make
sure that the pull message refers to "tags/for-linus" and not that
ambiguous "for-linus" thing.

Because you screwed up that pull request, and I argue that you screwed
up exactly *because* it's ambiguous and confusing. The confusion may
have happened before too, but because git will silently default to the
branch for the ambiguous case, I just never noticed that I didn't
actually get the proper signature. Now I noticed, because you said it
was signed and yet my pull got the non-signed thing.

Linus