Re: ipc,sem: sysv semaphore scalability

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Mar 29 2013 - 15:13:16 EST

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Btw, something that's really bothering me is just how much bogus
> 'follow-on' spew we have lately. I'm not sure what changed, but it
> seems to have gotten worse.

.. we have many more sanity checks, and they tend to trigger in the
case of us killing somebody holding locks etc.

> Related: is there any value in printing out all the ? symbols on
> kernels with frame pointers enabled ?

I've found them useful. You can often see what happened just before.

Of course, I'd still prefer gcc not generate unnecessarily big stack
frames (which is one of the bigger reasons for old stuff shining
through) but as things are, they often give hints about what happened
just before.

Linus