Re: 3.8.3 build error, compiler segfault

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Mar 29 2013 - 09:27:49 EST

On Friday 29 March 2013 09:08:27 Tom H did opine:

CCing the lkml too.

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I don't know of a particilar tool to extract that info. I can't tell
> > you for your -rtai kernel but the standard Ubuntu kernels come with a
> > file /boot/config-$(uname -r) which is the .config from the kernel
> > build. There you could search for '=y', but it would list more than
> > only parts which can be compiled either as module or built-in. I
> > checked the contents of the initrd and it seems the file /etc/modules
> > isn't included there. Obviously it is run later in the boot sequence,
> > not from the initrd. Sorry for that misleading suggestion.

> > While it looks right, I don't think it will help because the contents
> > of /etc/modules doesn't seem to be included in the initrd anyway (see
> > above).
>
> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

And that brings up a chicken/egg problem, as in if it can't access that
UUID containing /etc/modules, how does it read it to find out its supposed
to do early early loads of sata_nv, and possibly i2c_nforce even if they
are in the generated initrd?

Either way I'm screwed.

When I installed 10.04-4 LTS, it had no complaints about my telling it to
format / as ext4. But now the newer kernels seem to have thrown away that
capability by some sort of tom-foolery.

To bring the lkml up to speed on this, it seems that I can set
CONFIG_SATA_NV=y in the .config file for a later kernel all I want, but
then touching that file with either a 'make menuconfig' or a 'make xconfig'
automatically nukes it, so I'm building kernels here that can't find the
UUID of the / partition formatted as ext4, about 5 secs into the boot.
Reset and go back to the only kernel I have that boots, 2.6.32-122.rtai.

Thanks to anyone who has a fix. Perhaps an option passed to make I can put
in my makeit script to build SATA_NV as part of vmlinuz anyway? I'm not
familiar enough with makefile arguments to have a clue what that syntax
might look like. :(

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
I can't understand why a person will take a year or two to write a
novel when he can easily buy one for a few dollars.
-- Fred Allen
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...