Re: Generic syscall ABI support

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Mar 28 2013 - 01:35:41 EST

On 03/27/2013 08:09 PM, Ley Foon Tan wrote:
> Need advise regarding the generic syscall ABI support.
>
> We are planning to upstream our Nios II kernel (arch/nios2) to mainline.
> But it doesn't support generic syscall ABI yet (It requires an updated
> Glibc port as well).
>
> The question is, is it a requirement for new arch to support generic
> syscall ABI when upstreaming? Can we upstream a non-generic syscall ABI
> first and migrate to generic syscall ABI in future?
> Thanks.
>
> Regards
> LFTAN

That would be extremely difficult.

In general, you should use the generic ABI for a new port unless you
have *very* strong and convincing reasons not to.

Given how long the Nios2 port has been in upstreaming (unfortunate, I
like to play with FPGAs ;) it seems worthwhile to adjust it before
pushing it.

-hpa