Re: ptracing a task from core_pattern pipe

From: Denys Vlasenko
Date: Wed Mar 27 2013 - 08:17:59 EST

On 03/27/2013 04:26 AM, Daniel Walker wrote:

>>> Can't you process the data inplace? You do not need to save it to disk.

>> Registers would be easy'ish to get from coredump:
>> they are contained in note sections which are at the beginning
>> of the coredump. You can implement necessary parsing without
>> too much pain.
>>
>> Getting at stack would be harder.
>
> There exists /proc/<pid>/mem and /proc/<pid>/maps on these tasks. If
> those don't work then that's a straight up defect..
>
>> But by asking kernel to allow you to poke around dead task's
>> address space with ptrace() calls you just shift difficulty away from you
>> (today you need to implement in-memory ELF parsing) to kernel people
>> (they will need to implement *and support* ptracing of coredumping
>> tasks).
>>
>> This is somewhat unfair, considering that coredumping code in kernel
>> is already a source of many complications, and that kernel-side coding
>> is harder than userspace.
>>
>> I think you are lucky that ptrace attach even *works* on coredumping task.
>> No documentation ever guaranteed such a thing.
>
> There not much different from userspace between a task running, and one
> dumping..

As I see it, dumping task is past the point where it can enter
ptrace-stops.

It's like asking to ptrace a task which already entered the kernel
via exit(0) syscall and complaining that "it doesn't work".
Of course it does not: a ptrace-stop can happen only after syscall
returns to userspace, and exit() doesn't return.

Coredumping is similar: the task is in kernelspace and
it won't ever return to userspace.

--
vda