Re: [RFC 0/2] PCI: Introduce MSI chip infrastructure

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Date: Mon Mar 25 2013 - 04:38:57 EST

Dear Thierry Reding,

Thanks for your feedback!

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 08:58:10 +0100, Thierry Reding wrote:

> That sounds very much like one of the use-cases that were discussed. The
> easiest solution would probably be to add an API to look up an MSI chip
> from a DT phandle, so that the PCIe controller's device node could have
> it as a property, somewhat like this:
>
> msi: interrupt-controller {
> };
>
> pcie-controller {
> marvell,msi = <&msi>;
> };

I'm not sure how to handle this msi interrupt controller with the main
interrupt controller. For now, I have:

mpic: interrupt-controller@d0020000 {
reg = <0xd0020a00 0x2d0>,
<0xd0021070 0x58>;
};

[...]

soc {
interrupt-parent = <&mpic>;
[...]
};

And the MSI interrupt controller shares the same registers as the MPIC.
So should it be something like:

interrupt-controller {
reg = <0xd0020a00 0x2d0>,
<0xd0021070 0x58>;

mpic {
/* Not sure what to have here */
};

msi {

/* Here either */
};
};

soc {
interrupt-parent = <&mpic>;

pcie-controller {
marvell,msi = <&msi>;
};
};

Or some other idea?

> Then add some basic infrastructure to register the MSI chip with a
> global list, call that from the interrupt controller initialization:

> msi_chip_add(&msi);
>
> And finally look it up from the PCIe controller driver:
>
> node = of_parse_phandle(dev->of_node, "marvell,msi", 0);
> if (node)
> msi = of_find_msi_chip_by_node(node);
>
> That's roughly what other subsystems do. I wrote something similar once
> for backlight devices, though the registration step (msi_chip_add)
> wasn't necessary there since backlight devices all go into a common
> struct class so class_find_device() can be used instead of going through
> a separate registry.

Ok, that part sounds good to me. I'm still unsure about the DT
representation, though (see above), and experience has shown that's
it's a pretty good idea to discuss a little bit the DT representation
before going on with some code :)

Thanks again for your feedback!

Thomas
--