Re: I/O blocked while dirty pages are being flushed

From: Fredrik Tolf
Date: Mon Mar 25 2013 - 03:34:57 EST

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013, Eric Wong wrote:
Fredrik Tolf <fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It is worth noting, also, that this seems to be a situation
introduced somewhere between 2.6.26 and 2.6.32, because I started
noticing it when I upgraded from Debian 5.0 to 6.0. I've since tried
it on 3.2.0, 3.5.4 and 3.7.1, and it appears in every version.
However, I can't easily go back and bisect, because the new init
scripts don't support kernels older than 2.6.32, unfortunately.

So try lowering these sysctls to 2.6.26 levels (or lower) and see if
that helps.

Thanks for the tip, but since the page dirtying happens in fast bursts for me, rather than gradually over time, that just caused the same sizes of writes to happen more often instead, which only made it worse. :)

I'll continue investigating the stable-page route, instead, since that seems to be my exact problem.

--

Fredrik Tolf