Re: linux-next: unneeded merge in the security tree

From: Junio C Hamano
Date: Tue Mar 12 2013 - 18:00:42 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> That said, adding the signature from an upstream tag doesn't really
> seem to be hugely useful. I'm not seeing much of an upside, in other
> words. I'd *expect* that people would pick up upstream tags
> regardless, no?

Yes, their "git fetch" will auto-follow, but mergetag embedded in
the commit objects will give the history auditable trail the same
way as the merges you make your downstream. You of course could
match out-of-line tags against back-merges and verify your merges
with mergetags, but you do not have to.