Re: linux-next: unneeded merge in the security tree

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Tue Mar 12 2013 - 09:25:22 EST

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 04:18:23PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Well, you used to be able to merge a tag and it would just fast forward
> if possible. That was changed (for good reason), but now gives us this
> outcome. Also, "git merge --ff" does not override that behaviour, but
> "git merge --ff-only" does. Also, of course, if (say) origin/master had
> been v3.9-rc2, then "git merge origin/master" would have also just done a
> fast forward.

I'm probably old school (or maybe wacky school --- who knows :-), but
what I usually do is something like this:

git branch -a --contains HEAD # make sure the HEAD pointer is
git tag --contains HEAD # include where I think it should be
git reset --hard v3.9-rc2

Yeah, it's more key strokes than "git merge --ff-only v3.9-rc2", but I
can type the above faster because they're finger macros for me. :-)

- Ted