Re: mmap vs fs cache

From: Howard Chu
Date: Mon Mar 11 2013 - 08:40:54 EST

Jan Kara wrote:
On Fri 08-03-13 12:04:46, Howard Chu wrote:
The test clearly is accessing only 30GB of data. Once slapd reaches
this process size, the test can be stopped and restarted any number
of times, run for any number of hours continuously, and memory use
on the system is unchanged, and no pageins occur.
Interesting. It might be worth trying what happens if you do
madvise(..., MADV_DONTNEED) on the data file instead of dropping caches
with /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches. That way we can establish whether the extra
cached data is in the data file (things will look the same way as with
drop_caches) or somewhere else (there will be still unmapped page cache).

I screwed up. My madvise(RANDOM) call used the wrong address/len so it didn't cover the whole region. After fixing this, the test now runs as expected - the slapd process size grows to 30GB without any problem. Sorry for the noise.

--
-- Howard Chu
CTO, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com