Re: mmap vs fs cache

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Mar 08 2013 - 10:26:53 EST

On 03/08/2013 09:00 AM, Howard Chu wrote:

First obvious conclusion - kswapd is being too aggressive. When free
memory hits the low watermark, the reclaim shrinks slapd down from 25GB
to 18-19GB, while the page cache still contains ~7GB of unmapped pages.
Ideally I'd like a tuning knob so I can say to keep no more than 2GB of
unmapped pages in the cache. (And the desired effect of that would be to
allow user processes to grow to 30GB total, in this case.)

I mentioned this "unmapped page cache control" post already
http://lwn.net/Articles/436010/ but it seems that the idea was
ultimately rejected. Is there anything else similar in current kernels?

Sorry, I'm not aware of anything. I'm not a filesystem/vm guy though, so maybe there's something I don't know about.

I would have expected both posix_madvise(..POSIX_MADV_RANDOM) and swappiness to help, but it doesn't sound like they're working.

Chris